Friday, March 20, 2015

A Penny For Your Thoughts - On Living a Quiet Life

 
I’ve been thinking a lot about the value of quiet lately.  For me this is especially valuable. Generally speaking, I need noise.  I turn on the television for background noise.  I put on music when I am in the bathroom getting ready in the morning.  I talk constantly.  However, what I am finding is that I need to make space for quiet in my life.  I think quiet, in the right way, can be associated with humbleness, simplicity, comfort and peace.  There is nothing wrong with noise, but sometimes I find it important to allow ourselves to just be present.  I think practicing comfort in quiet will bring my anxiety down and teach me things I do not anticipate, and I feel the Lord’s confirmation of that to me in my prayers and devotions lately.
 
1 Thessalonians 4: 11 & 12: 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
 
I love that living a quiet life will lead to respect.  Don’t you think often times you lose respect for someone because they open their mouth too much and don’t hold their tongue.  There are so many verses on this topic, but I guess lately I am realizing that I could do myself a service and hold my tongue more often, not everyone needs to know what I am thinking.  Plus, it would give me the opportunity to listen and really hear other people’s hearts.  As I lean into what God has for my future I can’t help but know that there is sweetness in just sitting still with him during this chapter.
 
Rest in Him this weekend friends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment