Monday, May 7, 2012

A Season Of Reading - The Hunger Games Trilogy


When I started this season of reading, I never knew I would read my first trilogy.  You remember me telling you about my experience reading the first hunger games book, but I have not reported on completing all three! These books have become one of the most popular trilogies ever written, and I was not sure how I would feel at the end of the journey.  Honestly, I love them.  However, not the way I expected. 

The first one was such an epic adventure.  It kept you on the edge of your seat in every moment.  You were right there alongside Katniss fighting for your life.  The second, I was trying to put the pieces together the entire time and connect the dots.  What was going on with everyone else was a concern.  Where was this story headed?  The third was about the results of what happened in the first and the second, and about the effects of change.  The entire series kept you flipping pages and wanting more.

I think what I experienced that I did not expect is how messy war is, against an unreal backdrop.  People have to make tough choices, people you really care about die, and generally… you AND everyone you love cannot survive.  This is something my generation has only experienced in a minimal way if they have relatives in the military overseas, but it has never knocked on our door.  I loved the realistic way it all came to a close.  Katniss represented a movement, and all her fame did not make her happy as it tends to be painted in life these days.  In fact, it only complicated matters.  Fame and fortune paled in comparison to the worth of family and freedom. 

What I did expect to experience was a torn girl, and that I definitely got.  She loved more than one man, she wanted to be a child and an adult at the same time, and she really grew up emotionally over the stories.  I loved that she wasn’t mature at points and didn’t know how to handle some situations.  I love that she had to be rescued and was not invincible and didn’t recognize the obvious things in front of her at times.  She was very relatable.

I would absolutely recommend this series to anyone looking to get wrapped up in a story.  It really wraps you up and takes you over.  I am happy to report I have finished my first trilogy, and I am sure it will not be my last.  I am also happy to report, that I loved the movie and cannot wait for the second one to come out in a year and a half :)

No comments:

Post a Comment