Thursday, February 2, 2012

Life Lessons - My Fears Revealed

Debt.

What a scary word.  It stands out in my mind as one of the hardest things for me to get past mentally.  I already have debt in my life.  While my car is (FINALLY) paid off, I have school debt and credit card debt.  It feels like it will never end because as soon as some of this debt begins to disappear, I will be picking up a mortgage; life always seems to get in the way of paying things off.

Every American seems to have problems similar to this.  However, I am trying so hard to not live outside of my means.  I am not trying to impress people.  My debt is simply a whirlwind of things that I actually need, not clothes and accessories and material possessions, but a car that runs, gas to get to work, and food to eat.  How did I get so far behind?  Why can I not just make a payment plan and not stress about it?  I am not nearly as in debt as others around me, and I still find myself believing I am worse off.

Does anyone else struggle with fear that God does not have control over their finances?  This has always been a problem for me.  I can give God control over almost all areas of my life, but I need to release my grip on this one.  Prayers would be helpful, although I know it is in my hands.  I know I can take control of this situation.  I have the money, I just need to accept the vast amount of time things take.  It will not happen overnight and it will be a difficult process of sacrificing other things to pay for what I need. 


Learning and growing and changing and maturing.  It is a continuous process.  Some days I feel like I have it all figured out, and sometimes I am overwhelmed from the moment I wake up in the morning.  This life lesson is not an open and shut case.  It will always be something I am rediscovering.

2 comments:

  1. I for sure have struggled with fear that God does not have control over my finances ... It is a daily process to give it up to Him! It took me a few years to figure it all out and slowly I am getting out of the "Debt Umbrella". Dave Ramsey is the man! I HIGHLY recommend his Financial Peace University (http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu). The grip is hard to release but if you do it slowly it won't be as painful and God will show you how to gain control in this area of your life :) - Wixy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it stink when you look at that giant pile of bills and realize you did almost nothing "fun" with that money.
    Really makes you feel like a grown up. For example, we currently have an almost maxed out credit card. No, we are not proud of this, yes we make huge payments every month to try to pay it down. But you know what we spent all that money on, School, cars, and groceries. No new clothes, no fancy electronic toys. Just grown up stuff.

    ReplyDelete